- Be sure to use a padded hanger that is appropriate to the weight of the item (e.g. a full-length negligee may need a heavy-duty padded hanger, while a lightly embellished top may do fine on a thin velvet hanger).
- Consider flat storage for long-term needs to avoid stress on the fiber, and to keep the garment from stretching at the neckline.
- Whether storing hung or flat, it is a good idea to keep these items inside a breathable bag to avoid snags and to reduce the opportunity for mold and mildew to form (particularly during off-season storage).
- If fabrics are washable:Place inside a wash bag at the most delicate setting to avoid wear and tear in the machine.
- Make sure that all closures are done up to avoid snaps and zippers from snagging onto the delicate fabric during the wash cycle.
- Always check the manufacturer label to see ironing instructions.
- An alternative to ironing may be to hang the item in a steamfilled bathroom or use a steaming device (held at least 6″away with constant motion) to loosen wrinkles.
© 2023 Garment Saver