Seasonal Clothing Storage Tips
Getting ready for the new season means packing away some clothing and accessory items. Here is our handy guide for making the task easier.
- Sort your seasonal clothing into “keep” and “donate”. Making this cut may be difficult but it minimizes clutter and waste of storage space.
- Check for anything that needs repair and separate into a “repair basket” (loose buttons, undone hems, etc.). It’s best to handle these fixes now so they’ll be ready to go when the wearing season rolls around.
- Check pockets for anything that might be left in them (coins that can rust, paper, etc.)
- Clean items before storing. Remember, bugs are attracted to food stains, dead skin cells, perfume and other things invisible to the naked eye.
- For items that you may not clean each season (e.g. leather jackets) be sure to do a spot clean and air out thoroughly before storage.
- Prepare the storage area for your seasonal items
- Make sure the container can close tightly but are naturally ventilated (cotton or canvas are preferable)
- Do not store in extreme heat or damp for long term.
- Do not keep items in dry cleaning bags. The PVC gases they release, while deteriorating, may harm delicate fibers.
Items you may need to organize your storage area:
- Flat bags for fold-able items (sweaters, scarves, etc.).
- Hanging bags for suits and jackets
- Moth balls and cedar chips
- Labels and markers (if you store items in non-visible containers)
- Tissue paper for wrapping around items that snag easily
- Spot cleaner for leather, suede or canvas items
- Tissue paper for wrapping items that can snag