Recycling clothing is as important to the environment as recycling paper, bottles and cans. Here are some ideas for re-purposing clothing items to help the environment and those in need.
Old / Used Clothing
Most of us know about donating used or old clothing to charity. Great options are:
- Salvation Army
- Dress For Success – Gently used women’s professional clothing
Special Occasion Dresses
- Princess Project and the Glass Slipper Project – resells formal dresses to young women who otherwise would not be able to attend their high school prom or other formal events.
- The Brides Against Breast Cancer – accepts used wedding dress and accessories. Then uses the money reselling these items to fund the wishes of women and men who have metastatic breast cancer
Used makeup & hair guards
With the emphasis on recycling, we are concerned about balancing this need with creating a hygienic product. Though the Garment Saver Disposable Makeup & Hair Guard is designed for one-time use, it is durable enough to be gently washed in cold water, dried flat and re-used if desired. Here are some ideas to dispose of or re-purpose used makeup guards.
- Cut up and use for cleaning cloths.
- Some thrift stores collect rags and sell by the pound to various industries. Check your local thrift store.